Welcome to the Kansas City, Kansas Housing Authority (KCKHA) Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program! The goal of the KCKHA HCV Program is to empower low – to moderate-income families to rent safe, decent, and affordable housing in the private market by paying a portion of the family’s rent. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) determines the rules and regulations for the program.

The KCKHA HCV/Section 8 office is open Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. The HCV office does not accept walk-ins.

Please review the KCKHA Section 8 Orientation Packet for a reference guide at any time during your participation.

HCV/Section 8 Office

1124 N. 9th St. Kansas City, KS 66101
Main Line: 913-281-3300
Office Line: 913-279-3473
Fax Line: 913-279-3477

Family Responsibilities

  • Search for your own housing
  • Pay your security deposit
  • Report needed repairs to the landlord
  • Clean your unit
  • Pay your portion of rent to the owner
  • Keep your utilities on
  • Provide complete, accurate and truthful information about household income and family composition
  • Report all changes in your income and/or family size to the Section 8 office within 10 days of the date of the occurrence

To report a change in your income or family status

print and complete the Change Report Form and return to the office or contact your Program Specialist directly at 913-279-3473.

  • Be sure to complete the entire form and return all required documents as soon as possible by mail, email, or by dropping it off in the drop box located in the HCV/Section 8 lobby


Searching for Housing?

Please view some of the properties in our area that may be available, or contact the office for more information.

Apartment Complexes
Senior Living/Handicap Accessible List

Who to Call and When

It can be confusing to keep separate who to contact in different situations. Please use this guide to know when to contact your Section 8 program specialist an when to call your landlord.

Call your Section 8 Program Specialist

  • You want to know how much you should pay for rent
  • You think your rental portion may be too high or low
  • You have any other questions about your rent portion
  • Your pay has gone up or down
  • You have a new or different job
  • You have questions about your voucher
  • Your landlord is not responding to requests for repairs to your unit

Call Your Landlord

  • You want to know where/how to pay rent
  • You have a problem with your unit
  • You wish to get a pet
  • You have any questions related to your unit itself
  • You are uncertain what utilities are available
  • You have a question about parking, laundry or other amenities

Call Section 8 and Your Landlord

  • You wish to move
  • You wish to add another person to your household


Maintaining HCV Program Assistance Families must comply with the following:

  • HCV/Section8 program family obligations- rules of the program, listed on the voucher
  • Lease -the agreement between tenant and landlord
  • HQS inspections –3 types of inspections: Initial, Annual, and Special that will be conducted by KCKHA staff or contracted personnel
  • Annual recertification -the reexamination of voucher family income that occurs once a year
  • Interim reexamination –a reexamination of income that takes place in between annual reexaminations when voucher family earnings change


You may be eligible for portability. Voucher holders that are in good standing, under portability can move anywhere in the United States and Puerto Rico and lease a unit outside the issuing agency’s jurisdiction. It is important to keep in mind that different agencies have different rules, policies, deadlines, subsidy standards, and rents. If you would like to request portability, please contact your Program Specialist directly at (913) 279-3473.

Denial or Termination of Assistance

The Housing Authority may at any time deny or terminate assistance.
A request for an informal hearing must be made in writing and delivered to KCKHA either in person or by mail, by the close of business day, no later than 10 business days from the date of KCKHA’s decision or notice to terminate assistance. If you would like to request a hearing please click here to complete the following form and email to

Currently KCKHA HCV/Section 8 is absorbing.

Portability intake please send to