We value and appreciate the partnership with our landlords for the housing services provided to the HCV Program and its participants in our community. The landlord plays a major role of the voucher program by providing decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. To view the chart for General Lease-Up Process for Landlords click here

Benefits of Housing Choice Voucher Program for Landlords

  • Reliable, guaranteed payments via direct deposit with comparable rents
  • If your tenant should fall in a financial hardship, the tenant can depend on the HCV Program for assistance
  • Free advertising of your vacancies
  • Regular inspections
  • The opportunity to help low-income elderly, disable, and veteran households, as well as families with children by providing affordable housing.

Steps to Becoming a Landlord in the HCV Program

Becoming a KCKHA HCV landlord is simple! To become a landlord with the HCV program, you will need an HCV tenant.

To get your property seen by HCV families with vouchers:

  • Always mention that your property is available for voucher families
  • Advertise your property with KCKHA by contacting our office at 913-279-3473
  • If a voucher family request to rent your property –
  • Conduct your usual screening
  • You and voucher family fill out and submit the request for tenancy approval (click here for PDF)
  • Prep property for inspection

To ensure proper payment once the unit has been approved, complete and turn in the Landlord General Information (click here for PDF) along with the following:

  • Ensure all property taxes are current for commercial and residential in Wyandotte County.
  • Submit a generalized lease, copy of deed, and if applicable the property management agreement

Landlord Responsibilities

  • Follow the HAP contract between the KCKHA and the landlord (click here for PDF)
  • Screen and select tenants -The landlord can check credit, rental history and criminal history
  • Maintain property in compliance with HQS inspection standards (click here for PDF)
  • Comply with Fair Housing laws
  • Inform KCKHA of any changes to the lease or tenancy

Housing Quality Standards (HQS) General Inspection Requirements

At least annually, it is the responsibility of the KCKHA to conduct inspections of units to determine compliance with HQS prior to the execution of the entire term of the assisted lease. Inspections may be completed by KCKHA staff or by contracted personnel. There are 3 types of inspections: Initial, Annual, and Special.

HQS consists of the following 13 performance requirements:

  • Sanitary facilities
  • Food preparation and refuse disposal
  • Space and security
  • Thermal environment
  • Illumination and electricity
  • Structure and materials
  • Interior air quality
  • Water supply
  • Lead-based paint
  • Access
  • Site and neighborhood
  • Sanitary condition
  • Smoke detectors

Landlord Helpful Numbers

 Where can I get a rental license?                                 

Unified Government Rental License Office

4953 State Avenue

Kansas City, KS 66102

Phone: 913-573-8649

Where can I pay my taxes?

Unified Government Property Taxes

710 North 7th Street, Suite 240

Kansas City, KS 66101

Phone: 913-573-2821

Where can I get lead base paint booklets?

US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

901 North 5th Street

Kansas City, KS 66101

Phone: 913-551-7003

Where can I get a copy of my Deed?

Unified Government, Register of Deeds

710 N 7th Street, Suite 100

Kansas City, KS 66101

Phone:  913-573-2841

Frequently Requested Items

Direct Deposit HAP Payment Schedule

Landlord General Info

Accessing Landlord Payment Information

Utility Allowance Schedules (by unit type):
(updated June 2024)
2024 Utility Allowances Kansas City KS-HUD