The Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) is the federal government’s major program for assisting low-income families, elderly and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private housing market.

Housing assistance is based on the household income and is provided on behalf of the family (or individual) to a landlord/property owner. Kansas City, Kansas Housing Authority administers 1642 vouchers for the jurisdiction of City of Kansas City, Kansas/ County of Wyandotte. It includes the cities of Kansas City, Bonner Springs and Edwardsville, Kansas in Wyandotte County.

A family that is issued a KCKHA housing voucher is responsible for finding their own housing, which may include single-family homes, townhomes, and apartments in the private housing market within an affordable range based on bedroom size.  Housing may include the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the housing authority.

Once a unit is approved by the housing authority, the tenant will pay a portion of the rent based on a percentage (typically 30%) of their household adjusted income and remaining rent is paid by the KCKHA directly to the landlord/property owner.

If authorized by the housing authority, a family may use its voucher to purchase a home with the Section 8 Home Ownership Program. This program is for committed, successful Section 8 participants who meet income requirements, have stable employment history, unless disabled, in good standing for at least one year, have good credit, and attend a home ownership training class.

Voucher holders may participate in several other programs offered by KCKHA.

Family Self Sufficiency (FSS) Program the FSS program is to promote economic independence and self-sufficiency using assistance under the voucher program. The FSS staff works with community organizations to provide direct assistance for employment, education, and training. To start investing in yourself with an escrow savings account, contact Ms. Chenaye Sutton at (913) 279-3448.

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) Program is a collaborative program between HUD’s Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), to find and sustain permanent housing. To apply for HUD-VASH, please contact your local VA Homeless Program at the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-4AID-VET, or www.kansascity.va.gov

Project Base Voucher (PBV) Program is a rental subsidy program that is like the Housing Choice Voucher Program.  The major difference between the two programs is that the subsidy in the PBV program is attached to the unit and does not move with the family. Under the Project Based Voucher (PBV) program, tenants pay 30 percent of their income for rent and utilities.  KCKHA enters into a long-term Housing Assistance Payments contract with the property owner to pay the remaining rent balance.
After one-year of living in a PBV unit the family may be eligible to receive assistance under the Tenant-Based Voucher program. The Project Based wait lists are site based.

Applications are available by contacting the project directly which are:
Delaware Highlands Assisted Living (DHAL) at (913)721-1400 or www.dhalkc.com
Kim Wilson Housing at (913) 233-3356 www.kimwilsonhousing.org

Kansas City Kansas Housing Choice Voucher Program
O: (913) 279-3473
F: (913) 279-3477
A drop box is available in the lobby Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.