Rent & Utility Assistance

  1. Kansas Housing has received additional funding for rental assistance. Our new program, Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance (KERA), will be starting in March, but if you would like to be added to our mailing list please click here. By joining the mailing list you will be one of the first to be notified of updates on KERA or when we start accepting application.
  2. The United Way of Greater Kansas City has many referral services available and is a one-stop referral resource for community relief. For a list of resources in the Kansas City area:
    1. Click here for rental assistance
    2. Click here for electric bill assistance
  1. Leading Kansas City Rent Assistance Organizations:
Agency City Program Phone
Kansas Housing Corporation State of Kansas Kansas Eviction Program 785-217-2001
Mount Carmel Community Outreach KCK Rental Assistance 913-621-4111
Northeast Coordination and Development Kansas City Emergency assistance, commodity food program, financial assistance for utilities. 913-371-0848
Catholic Charities Of Wyandotte County Wyandotte Food pantry, rent and utility assistance 913- 621-3445
Village Presbyterian Church  Kansas City Utility Assistance 913- 262-4200
Catholic Communities Services-Emergency Center Kansas City, Utilities, food, housing, medications and transportation 913- 621-3445
Friends of Yates Inc. KCK Emergency assistances, clothing closet, commodity food program, transitional housing 913- 321-1566
Salvation Army Kansas City Assistance provided: food, utilities, eye glasses, medications for senior citizens 913- 321-6958
Harvest America Kansas City Tenant Based Rental Assistance 913-342-2121
Avenue of Life KCK Housing Stabilization 816-787-6101
Crosslines Community Outreach Inc. KCK Emergency Services 913-281-3388
El Centro, Inc. KCK Emergency Assistance 913-677-0100
Metro Lutheran Ministries KCK Rent / Utility/ Food Assistance Programs 913-341-8333
Salvation Army KCK Food Shelter Utility Services 913-232-5400
United Way KCK Utilities Assistance & Shelter 913-371-3674 or 211
USD 500 KCK Rent / Utility Assistance   for Student Families 913-551-3200
Vaugh-Trent Community Services, Inc. Bonner Springs KS Food & Utility Assistance by Appointment 913-441-0461
Wyandot Center (Kim Wilson Housing) KCK Rental Assistance &  Mental Health 913-328-4600
Kansas Department for Children and Families KCK Utility Assistance 1-800-432-0043

Low -Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)

Effective Immediately, the Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) is extending the application for LIEAP to May 28th.

Additionally the agency is expanding the income requirements from 130% of the federal poverty level to 150%. DCF will also review all previously denied applications during the 2021 LIEAP program year. Any cases that now qualify under the new income threshold and meet eligibility criteria will receive benefit.

If you are unable to work because of COVID-19 check with your human resources departments to request assistance through short-term disability insurance.

If you have lost employment due to COVID-19, make sure to submit your unemployment application as soon as possible. The links for both Kansas and Missouri are: