The Housing Authority of the City of Kansas City, Kansas, in compliance with §227 of the Housing and Urban-Rural Recovery Act of 1983, and § 526 of the Quality Housing and Work Responsibility Act of 1998 provides for pet ownership by residents of public housing, under the following conditions and subject to the following restrictions:
1. For residents of the Housing Authority a common household pet is defined as:
- Not permitted: Rottweiler, Pit Bull, German Shepherd, Chow, Doberman Pincher, Husky, Malamute, Wolf Hound, Mastiff, Great Dane, Wolf, Coyote or any mix thereof.
- Dogs may weigh no more than 30 pounds, at maturity.
- Cats will be declawed.
- Cats may weigh no more than 15 pounds, at maturity.
- Limit to two (2) per cage.
- No uncaged pole birds
- No more than 2 aquariums.
- Total capacity of aquariums will not exceed 30 gallons.
The Housing Authority reserves the right to decide if a pet meets this definition. Animals that assist disabled persons are excluded from weight limitations, fee and deposits, with proper documentation. Animals that assist disabled person are subject to all other conditions and rules of this pet policy.
2. Housing Authority Residents shall only keep authorized and registered pets and are not allowed to keep another person’s pet. No pet will be allowed temporarily on the premises.
3. Dogs are permitted at the following locations only:
a. Low-rise units of K1-04, Wyandotte Towers.
b. All units of K1-13, Welborn Villa.
c. All units of K1-22, Westgate Villa.
d. All family complexes and scattered sites.
4. Cats will be permitted only on those floors of the high-rises designated for cat owners.
5. Pets are not allowed in the common areas, such as the lobby, laundry rooms, community center, etc., except those animals that assist the disabled.
6. No more than one pet on the elevator at a time.
7. All dogs and cats must be registered with the Housing Authority on a pet registration form provided. HM – 80 (9/99)
8. Dogs and cats must be neutered or spayed. Proper documentation of spaying and neutering shall be placed in the resident’s file. Exceptions may be granted on a case by case basis for old or infirm animals.
9. Dogs and cats shall be inoculated and licensed as required by local ordinance. A copy of the license and documentation of inoculations shall be placed in the resident’s file.
10. Only one dog or cat will be permitted per household.
11. Cats and dogs must be kept on a leash, except when inside the owner’s unit.
12. A Pet Fee of $75.00 and a Pet Deposit of $100.00 is required for each pet. Deposits will be retained and refunded as specified in the Dwelling Lease. Deposit and Fee must be paid in full before the pet will be registered or allowed on Housing Authority property.
13. Residents are responsible for any and all damage to Housing Authority property and/or injury that is caused by his/her pet.
14. Residents with cats must empty litterboxes at least three (3) times a week and properly dispose of the used litter. NOTE: Litterboxes must be of appropriate material and designed for use as a litterbox.
15. Owners of dogs agree to clean up after them and to properly dispose of waste. When owners fail to clean-up, owners agree to pay reasonable charges for pick-up and disposal by Housing Authority personnel.
16. Pet owners shall take adequate precautions to eliminate pet odors within the unit and maintain the unit in a sanitary condition at all times.
17. Any pet that bites any person or attacks another animal must be permanently removed from Housing Authority property. Failure to remove the pet will result in eviction.
18. Pet owners are responsible for and must control noise of pets and insure that their pets do not disturb other residents. Any pet disturbing the peace of neighbors through noise, smell, animal waste, or other nuisance must be removed from Housing Authority Property. Substantiated written complaints by neighbors or Housing Authority personnel will result in the owner being required to permanently remove the pet.
19. Any insect infestation extermination due to a pet in the pet owner’s unit and/or adjacent units will be the financial responsibility of the pet owner and charged to the owner’s account.
20. Dogs will not be secured to any existing fixtures.
21. Pet owners are required to make written arrangements for the care of their pet in the event the resident is not capable of caring for their pet. Information will be maintained in the resident’s file. Information will include responsible party’s name, address and phone number. Information is to be provided at the time the pet is acquired and will be updated at the owner’s annual recertification. HM – 80 (9/99) HM – 80 (9/99)
22. Dogs and cats shall not be left unattended for extended periods of time and must be restrained by the owner when Housing Authority personnel enter the unit. An extended period of time is defined as any period longer than 24 hours.
23. Animal Control Officers may enter a unit to transfer any animal that is left unattended. In the event of emergency, safety and/or health hazard, the Housing Authority has the right to have the pet removed from the premises by Animal Control. The Housing Authority accepts no responsibility for pets so removed.
24. Resident agrees to monthly inspections for the first three months of pet ownership.
25. If a pet owner is in violation of the pet policy the Housing Authority shall serve written notice of the violation. The notice will include a statement of the rule(s) allegedly violated. Service of notice constitutes adverse action by the Housing Authority and the Tenant Grievance Procedures are applicable to any dispute. Owner will have seven (7) days from receipt of notice to correct the violation or a breach of the lease and 30-day eviction notice shall be served on owner.
26. Failure to comply with any of the above conditions shall be cause for permanent removal of the pet from Housing Authority property and/or eviction of the resident.
27. The terms and conditions of this pet policy are hereby incorporated into the dwelling lease and made a part thereof.