LANDLORD INTRO LETTER
Dear Future Section 8 Landlord,
We are pleased that you are interested in participating in the Section 8 Program in Kansas City, Kansas. In order for you to be set up on our system as a Section 8 Landlord, we will need you to fill out some correspondence. Please find below a list of items we will need you to provide to us. Some of these items are attached; some you will have to provide on your own. All of these items will need to be completed and filled out completely in order for you to be a Section 8 Landlord.
Please find attached the following forms:
Landlord General Information Sheet- If the owner will be handling all the affairs of the property, only one Landlord General Information Sheet needs to be filled out. If the property will be managed by a management company, we will need both the owner AND the management company to fill out a Landlord General Info Sheet.
W-9- If the owner will be handling all the affairs of the property, only one W-9 needs to be filled out. If the property will be managed by a management company, both the owner AND the management company will need to fill out a W-9.
Direct Deposit Form- This form is optional but highly recommended. If you wish to receive the payments the Housing Authority makes on behalf of the tenant directly into your bank account on the 1st of every month, you will need to fill out this form. Otherwise, you will receive a paper check. Please keep in mind if you do elect to enroll in direct deposit, you will need to accompany this form with a copy of a voided check.
Along with these forms, we will also need you to provide us with the following information.
- We will need you to provide a list of properties you own in Wyandotte County. It does not matter whether or not you wish to rent them to Section 8 tenants. Any properties you own within the Wyandotte County lines will need to be listed. We check to make sure all property taxes are current in Wyandotte County before proceeding with the process. Any landlords that have delinquent property taxes on any properties are disallowed from the program until the problem is remedied.
- We will need you to provide a copy of a blank lease. By “blank copy”, we mean a lease you intend to use for your tenants with no names or signatures on it. For the protection of all parties involved, prior to the Section 8 Tenant moving in, we will review the language of your lease.
- We will need you to provide the deed of the property you would like to put on the program showing proof of ownership. If the property is owned by a company (LLC, Inc., etc.), you will also need to supply documentation showing the partners of the company.
- If the owner is not going to be handling the affairs of the property, please provide us with a management contract along with the contact information for the management company. Please note that it is mandatory for all landlords who are out of state to have a local contact person.
- It is a requirement of our program that each subsidized unit have a current rental license. To inquire about applying for a rental license in Wyandotte County, please call the rental license office at (913)573-8649.
Once you have gathered all the documents, please fax, mail, or drop them off at our office. Again, we appreciate your interest in participating in the Section 8 Program and are looking forward to working with you.
Kansas City, Kansas Housing Authority – Section 8 Department